To refresh your memory, these are the guidelines:
|The Essentials List||The Nonessentials List||The Approved Shopping List|
Things Done Well
I always like to start with the PROs when it comes to a Pro/Con list. You’ll notice I don’t even call it a con list–but things to work on. Remember, a positive mindset is key.
- Another credit card balance of $0. Only two more to go that I’m aiming to get down in six months!
- $500 to savings. I genuinely don’t know where it came from–maybe some of the odd jobs I’ve picked up but I put it in savings. Woo hoo!
Things to Work On
Let’s cut right to the chase. I’ve definitely purchased clothing, shoes, and home decor this month–all items on the non-essential list.
OOF. That’s a big fail in the first month.
I can sit here and justify that the shoes I bought I having been wearing almost every weekend since I have bought them and they are a great alternative to flip flops. I can also say that Mr. Geek thinks they are adorable on me. I can also say, “But I needed underwear because I haven’t been shopping for underwear since 2015.” However, I cannot justify the $200+ spending spree I had at Christmas Tree Shop in Portland, Maine one long weekend at the beach–and that was the biggest splurge of all.
But even though I have not been successful just yet, I have made these observations of items I purchase that are not on the banned list:
- Coffee. I’ve known this about myself for a long time. We are SO GOOD at making coffee at home in the mornings, but there are certain times in the year where I need–yes, NEED that second coffee in the afternoon. This is usually right before Christmas break and right before the end of the school year–the times where I literally cannot function because life is so hectic. I just need my coffee!
- Beer. Another spike in spending I can blame on alcohol. Whether it is stocking the fridge to enjoy sips outside or going out for drinks with friends–it’s taking a chunk out of my spending. I just know this is going to continue because of all the amazing breweries to visit this summer too…What can I say?I’m a sucker sunshine and good times.
- Meals Out. Along with drinks, you have to have appetizers or a whole plate of tacos! Again, if there is an outdoor patio–I’m there. The worst part is that I KNOW we have so many meals sitting beautifully organized at home in our Pyrex!
- Summer clothes. I bought pajamas and underwear this month–but the hardest part about this entire shopping ban was not splurging on all the amazing summer clothes! I’ve actually noticed how it hurts my heart. Summertime is when I get to be my complete whole self up at our camp and dammit, I like to look cute and carefree. But I don’t need it. I’m still me without new clothes. In fact, I forgot about all the cute summer clothes I left up at camp that were newly rediscovered again.
So instead of beating myself up for not meeting the shopping ban, I am going to celebrate the little successes I had this month!