This blog is inspired by the George Bernard Shaw quote, “Life isn’t about finding yourself. It’s about creating yourself.” How do I know that quote? It’s on a journal I bought at Homegoods for $7. The English major in me wishes I stumbled upon his words in a piece of literature, but instead I saw the quote on my notebook and Googled it. Not very literary.
I also thrive on creativity through writing, journaling, arts and crafts projects, and always seem to have a project in my hands. In fact, I noticed I became far too busy that I was losing time for my creative outlets. These projects help make me who I am. I’ve been denying that side of me for a very long time. This blog is an opportunity to bring that back.
My name is Chrissy Gikis. I am a 29-year-old woman living in Central Massachusetts, but you're more likely to find me in Southern Maine the minute I have free time! My husband, Mr. Geek (more commonly known as Josh) , and I got married August 12, 2017 and started creating the best and most fulfilling life for ourselves and future family---oh and and being completely ridiculous along the way!
The Places I Have Lived
I am a Massachusetts girl. I have lived most of my life in Central Massachusetts-- an hour or so outside of Boston. I went to school in the Merrimack Valley only to transfer three years later to the flagship university in the Pioneer Valley. It’s not a very exciting story.
However, my favorite all-time magical happy place is Old Orchard Beach, Maine. I have spent almost every summer of my life in Old Orchard Beach. This is the place I feel complete and the best version of myself.
5 Random Facts
- I was a pole vaulter. High school and college. What does this say about me? Well, to be a pole vaulter you have to be crazy enough to believe that you can take one fiberglass stick to jump over another fiberglass crossbar…take that how you wish. My best jump was 11’10”. On my tombstone, it will say “Never made 12 feet.”
- I didn’t really cook until I met Mr. Geek. I had it in my brain that if I refused to cook or didn’t care about it, I would attract a man that liked me for me--not just a woman that cooked. I hate to say it...but I was right. Cooking is one of my favorite things to do now--by myself and together with Mr. Geek. Although, he is way better than I am!
- I am a public school teacher. I am a middle school and high school English teacher. This is probably the only time I will mention my teaching career on this blog. Do I hate it? No. Not at all. I just think it’s too easy to lose yourself in the profession and identify yourself solely as a teacher. Or maybe it’s too easy for others to identify you as a teacher and think they have you all figured out? Either way, I’m more than that.
- I fainted at a Cher concert. I wish this story was cooler. Since I was a teenager, I have had this odd job selling merchandise at concert venues throughout New England. I’ve seen A LOT of concerts (or at least listened to them while I worked). I did not faint at the sight of the queen herself. It was a really hot day and I didn’t drink enough water. I was kept in this “greenhouse” type room with large windows and a setting afternoon sun. I quickly hit the floor.
- My first time on an airplane was in a T6 Texan doing barrel rolls and loops. I was 16. I had never even been on a commercial flight before. This was also a job interview--probably my first job interview ever. I wouldn’t do it again, but it was a memorable experience nonetheless. I did get the job.
Meeting Mr. Geek
I graduated college in 2012 and worked in a coffee stop/gas station in my hometown in Central Massachusetts. One of my coworkers, Emily, was also hired the same week I was. Emily and I worked the same shifts, attended classes at the same local community college, and lived down the street from me. Coincidence? Well...now I know it wasn’t.
After many shifts of pouring coffee, eating donuts, and singing along with Flo Rida, Emily said she knew a guy she thought would be perfect for me. She showed me his picture
I immediately said no. I had already made him out to be one of those party bros I had done my best to avoid in college.
I refused to meet him for about a month, but I still kept asking about him here and there. What was he like? What does he do? Where does he go to school? I also referred to him as Minkus, the beloved geeky Boy Meets World character, instead of his true last name: Gikis. (Yes, I see the irony now.)
Finally, Emily said she was having people over for a campfire at her house and Mr. Geek would be there. I was going through a very closed off, anti-social phase at the time (I know many would have a hard time believing that).
“If you aren’t having fun, you live right down the street," she said, "It’s not like it’s far to go home.”
I agreed to go. When I got there, I saw the most gorgeous guy I had ever met in my entire life. And boy, could he make me laugh!
We've been together ever since...
October 27, 2016
After dating four years, it was about time! (Our dog Gronk's ears in the bottom of this picture makes me laugh every time.)
August 12, 2017
We got married in a small ceremony with just immediate family in Old Orchard Beach, Maine.
...and then came Gronk.
When Mr. Geek and I discussed getting married, I told him, “I don’t want an engagement ring. I want an engagement dog!”
I had just lost the love of my life, Autumn, my 17-year-old Manx cat--the cat that I had since I was 10 years old. The house was feeling a little empty without a fur baby.
After months and months of stalking the Last Hope K9 Rescue website, I saw a goofy looking pitbull mix named Gronk. My family has always had a tradition of naming dogs after New England Patriots players. I don’t know how to describe it, but I just knew this was our dog.
At the adoption event, I immediately scanned around for Gronk while Mr. Geek strolled through the dogs and meeting the others. When I found him, I didn’t leave. I even guarded him against other adopters. He was our dog. That was it.
Mr. Geek gave me a ring and we brought Gronk home two days later. He has been the star of the family ever since.